Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a craftsman lt2000 that and sputters almost like a

Customer Question

hi i have a craftsman lt2000 that spitter and sputters almost like a backefire cleaned and replace carb gaskets, any other ideas?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: just got the mower
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: prob 8-10 yrs old craftsman model917273764...18 hp b/s engine nikki carb
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: it also dies when the brake clutch is released or the deck is engaged...checked the 3 safety switches all ok
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
craftsman said it might be the main wiring harness...i guess that they had issues with them.this mower was only used for 6 months and owner died so i inherited it.emptied tank cnanged fuel lines and filters and rebuilt carb...stilll acts as though it is running rich adjusted air gap on coil to .014 as it looked as though one side was touching the flywheel
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 months ago.

This is Briggs single cylinder OHV engine, 31P777-0299-E1. I would want to check the valve clearance. On this engine the intake and exhaust should be .004 to .006 inch

As for the engine shutting off when brake is released or deck engaged, is usually the brake interlock switch.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
please send anwers by email
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
please send answers by email

I don't get your email address. Site is only the only one that has it.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Have the valves been checked?

I see question is still open, did you find solution?