JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Husqvarna Service Tech
94737911

Rick. I have a 13 HP BS with OHV Industrial/commercial

Customer Question

Hi Rick. I have a 13 HP BS with OHV Industrial/commercial engine powering a towed Swisher mower. When I left it with my neighbor to use it was working fine, smoking just a little and using/ burning about a 1/2 qt per tank. Just got it back and it's blowing oil and gas (I think gas in it) out the exhaust. Compression when I bought it used was at 138 and holding. Thoughts?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 6 months ago.

Check the oil. Does it smell like fuel. It sounds like you have a leaking/blown head gasket or the carb is allowing fuel to leak into cylinder due to faulty needle valve in carb. Do you have oil on the machine anywhere in the front. What is the compression currently?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Oil smells like fuel. I didn't have oil on deck until now. Now it's pouring out of exhausted when trying to start. Almost starts then dies. Compression now only 128 after 130 at 3 minutes ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Piston seems to be dead heading.
Expert:  JON replied 6 months ago.

Fuel has bypassed the needle in the carb and went into the crankcase. You will need to do an oil change and also clean carb and a rebuild would be best just incase the needle is bad instead of just stuck. possibly need a new spark plug also. Fuel/Oil leaking from exhaust due the viscosity is much thinner now since there is fuel present in the oil. Can cause major damage if ran too long as your oil is now thinned very much

Expert:  JON replied 6 months ago.

how is the oil level reading? Does it look thinner than normal?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I THOUGHT it looked like oil level climbed. Neighbor had left fuel valve open when he parked it. Yes, looks thinner than normal. And I tried lighting the dipstick ( yes, well away from the gas engine,) and it lit right away burned off the gas and left oil on the stick.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it sounds like from what you're saying and what I was seeing i.e. a clean mower deck and no oil on it until now, that I should only need to rebuild the carburetor and do an oil change. How does the fuel get into the crank case? An open valve?
Expert:  JON replied 6 months ago.

That is the problem then. Its not a hard repair, more aggravating than anything. Fuel shut valve is a great idea when used anyways huh? Change oil and you could be fine with only doing this as needle seats itself at times, but its a risk to gamble on. I would pull carb and go ahead do the cleaning and rebuild as those carb kits are not too much and you will not have to deal with this issue again

Expert:  JON replied 6 months ago.

Fuel is thin and seeps. Needle doesn't seal the carb off, so fuel keeps flowing, it seeps into the cylinder, and then down into the crankcase through the piston. You don't have the compression you used to because the viscosity of the oil is thinner due to the gas. once the crankcase is full, the fuel/oil mix just wants out so it goes to the muffler next to escape

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That is a relief. What about the compression numbers? I'm almost positive it's dropped 10 psi from when I first bought this a couple months ago and checked the compression then. From 138 to 128 But my memory could be faulty and it was at 128 months ago. Right now it is still at 122 and it's been 10 minutes since I cranked it at 130.
Expert:  JON replied 6 months ago.

the rings are just sliding in the cylinder and there is nothing to slow piston down since the oil is so thin currently. Hopefully there is no damage to the piston/cylinder. It is possible, but most of the time no damage is done. Really depends on how long machine has been ran like this

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK, I see that you just answered my compression question. Thank you for the help. I am greatly relieved. Have a blessed evening.
Expert:  JON replied 6 months ago.

You too.

Let me know if I can assist you further. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to do my best and your ratings help me to achieve this

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It wasn't run very long. It has been parked for two weeks with the fuel valve open. But I never got the engine to actually run and keep running it other than five seconds spurts after I cleaned the spark plug and blew out the cylinder . After this, I will have to reminds the neighbor to shut the fuel valve off after he's done mowing. We went in half-and-half to purchase this used mower.
Expert:  JON replied 6 months ago.

You should be fine then. Was it parked in a hot area. Fuel pressure from heat can cause the needle to leak as when the fuel system gets too much pressure build up, it leaks. You should be fine and be back to operations in no time

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks again. I will rate you high. This is much better than my first experience with just answer when that tech was only interested in the rating and his money and not in solving a problem.
Expert:  JON replied 6 months ago.

I am here for you. I leave questions open 5 days after ratings, so if you need me still afterwards for anything, just return to this question, and ask. I am usually around my computer and will answer back with-in 1-90 minutes

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just rated you five stars but I'm not sure anything happened. the screen just kind of stopped would you know it immediately if the rating comes through?
Expert:  JON replied 6 months ago.

It doesn't show currently. Normally it shows on the screen of the question on my side. I think once you accept answer and rate it shows. Not sure how it works on your side

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Had to run card through again. Don't know why. Rating again.
Expert:  JON replied 6 months ago.

Not a problem. Remember, I will be here for further help if needed.