Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a Deere D170 lawn tractor. I was cutting grass and

Customer Question

I have a John Deere D170 lawn tractor. I was cutting grass and the mower all of a sudden seized up. I removed the deck and replaced the middle spindle that wouldn't turn and greased the others. Blades turn freely. Put deck back on and pto would not engage. Took it to a repair shop and they told me it was the pto clutch. Was going to charge me 400 dollars so I brought it back home. Ordered a new clutch and switch and put them on and still will not engage . There is a click when I pull out the electric pto but will not engage mower. Thinking about taking to JD dealer but thought I would try you guys. Can you help.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. Do you have a multimeter to make sure the clutch is getting voltage ?

That would be where I would start , also some clutches need adjusting