Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a 25 twin on my sears garden tractor with a 54 inch

Customer Question

I have a 25 twin on my sears garden tractor with a 54 inch wide deck. When I mow now, after a while, the engine loses some power, begins to run rough and I start smelling a strong scent of unburned gas. It feels like it may be getting power on one cylinder. Sometimes it will clear up and go back to smooth running full power. I usually shut off the deck, drive it inside, and shut it off to cool down. It will run fine for a while after that before it starts losing power again. It it possible I have a valve that is sticking intermittently?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 months ago.

more likley a bad coil on one of the cylinders. Run a cylinder test, loosen the spark plug wires, and with engine iling, remove one wire at a time, engine should continue to run, if engine dies when either wire is removed, the opposite cylinder is not firing. You will need to test when engine is acting up. If you find coil not sparking, Kohler recommends replacing both at same time!