Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

Have an onan HGJAB that runs for approx 10-15 seconds, then

Customer Question

hi, have an onan HGJAB that runs for approx 10-15 seconds , then dies. Shows error code 37 ?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to I will be happy to assist you today. Give me a few moments to look over your problem, and I will get right back to you so we can fix the issue and get your machine back to working order

Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.

Once the units fails and sets the 37 error it's imperative that they quickly do the ohm measurements on the rotor, stator and quad windings while it's still hot.

In some cases the 37 can be caused by a failing ignition magneto which causes the unit's ignition timing to become either retarded or advanced. BUT you would most likely hear the generator sputter, cough, perhaps even backfire a few times before it shuts itself down, so if you're not experiencing any of that then I would start troubleshooting elsewhere.

If all else checks ok then it's entirely possible the control board is at fault, but I've never replaced one on this error code.... From my experience it's always been the drive belt system....

Unfortunately, unless it is the control board, the generator will have to be removed from the coach and disassebled to get to either the drive belt or the magnetos..

Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.

okay, well this is not working properly.

Let me try again.....

Code 37 is normally coil or magneto issue, but can mean several things or be caused by other things. What all have you done since this code first appeared?