Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a x585 that engine surges and back fires through

Customer Question

I have a x585 that engine surges and back fires through intake
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: 2004
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with this issue. Give me a few moments to look over your problem, and I will be right with you to resolve this issue as quickly as possible.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok thank you
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

From what you have stated, it sounds like you have a carb issue. Have you tried removing carb and cleaning? If not, I would try this first.

What engine is on this machine?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
fuel injected
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
745cc kawasaki
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

Have you checked the valve clearance and make sure they are set properly?

Do you know what model Kawasaki engine this is? May be a sticker on engine with Model/Spec number

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
that wouldn't cause the surge
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
family id 2kaxs 74521a
displacement 745cc
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
jon you still helping me ?
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

Sorry, had to eat some dinner. Give me a moment to look this engine up. I am not an EFI technician usually, but I will try to assist you. If I cant I will OPT OUT and see if someone else can assist you further.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ive spent $18 so far for what?
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

Surging is pretty much the lack of fuel when needed, so I would say a fuel supply issue. backfiring is normally a valve/timing issue. If the valves are off, then this will effect the fuel supply as the intake/exhaust valves are not opening when the yare supposed to so the fuel is not being delivered when it is needed at the time. You are getting too much fuel when not needed and not enough when it is needed, therefor a back fire and surge occur

Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

The question will remain open and no other charges apply until you are satisfied with an answer by an expert here. We all have a expertise and I do work on EFI engines, but from my experience, what I have stated is what has been the issue of past worked on machines.

Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

If you would like, I can OPT OUT and see if another expert will chime in and maybe give you other info that you will be satisfied with and will fix your issue. With the issue you are having though, I have done the above mentioned tasks, and fixed the issue.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok jon I understand this is my first time on this site.
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

No problem. I am here to help you. If I cant help you myself, than I have no problem passing the question on to someone who can help you. If I don't have the correct answers for you, then I am no help, and I am here to help.

Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

How do the spark plugs look in the machine? What color are the tips?

Could it possibly be a simple fouled spark plug?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Actually the plugs look slightly running rich but not bad. Both sides are pretty even burn.
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

Do you have 2 new plugs you could swap them out with just as a test?

Do you have feeler gauge to check Valve clearance?

I honestly cannot think of anything else other than bad fuel inj

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'll swap plugs tomorrow and pull fuel line off filter n check fuel flow then do valve clerence I guess
Don't think it's injectors or it would be running rough witcheck it's not just terrible surge with spuratic back fire out intake.
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

Let me know how things go. I will be here off/on all day