Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

JD 155c mows in reverse but not in forward. Safety system is

Customer Question

JD 155c mows in reverse but not in forward. Safety system is working backwards.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Have you checked for any shorted or damaged wiring at the switch or leading from it at all to see if this is an issue here?

Let me know when you can,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Pete,The mower info is:
John Deere Series 100
Model 155C Automatic
Product ID - GX155CA019668
Purchase date: 9/4/2006
No I haven't checked for shorts or damaged wiring. At the ROI switch I replaced, everything looked fine and the console wiring looks fine. I replaced the PTO switch about 5-6 years ago. It simply wore out, so it was a simple diagnosis. I have not chased any of the wiring along the body to the other switches. If I knew the sequencing of the switches and/or had a wiring schematic, I would have gone farther. I have searched online, but to no avail. I'm guessing I need to locate the foot pedal ( reverse pedal) switch next. I do not have the electrical testing knowledge to test switch function, so I'm a 'keep replacing switches until the problem is fixed' person. I did replace the blade clutch last year, so I will check that electric terminal to make certain the plug is making good contact. I have read people have had issues with the ground wiring at that terminal. Do you think that would cause the switch to work backwards if the ground is lose? I also noticed the battery seems weak ( slow cranking after a couple of start-ups while trying to resolve this issue). I plan to replace the battery which is about 5 years old. Do you know of any other switches which would be in the PTO safety wiring? Don't think the seat switch or brake pedal switch would be in the sequencing. There is no gear lever on this model since this mower is hydrostatic drive. Thanks, Bill
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Unfortunately I do not show the diagram myself on this model here as well.But if you have a weak battery in some cases this can cause electrical faults as well as a loose or faulty ground.I would inspect and trace the wiring for any issues needing repaired or replaced with damaged or corroded wiring or loose connections needing corrected.If you do check this and find this is all o.k. with no issues let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete