Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have an RZ5424 zero turn. It will not go in forward or

Customer Question

I have an RZ5424 zero turn. It will not go in forward or reverse. The idler recently broke off and we got it replaced. We had this problem before that but it seems worse now. What should we check?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you. What do you think the problem might be?
Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

First, check to make sure your belt is not slipping.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok. How is the best way to check it?
Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

Due to your belt being frayed, this can cause it to slip on your pulleys. One way to check it, is by grabbing it, to make sure it is tight enough.

Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

Did our problem occur suddenly?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The belt is tight. No, this didn't happen suddenly. It has been an on and off problem for a little over a year it has just gotten a lot worse the past month or two and now I can't get it to move more than a few feet with the arms barely forward or backwards. The further the arms are pushed to worse it gets. Does the hydraulic system use hydraulic oil or does it just run off the engine oil?
Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

Your hydraulic system uses oil. Can you get the model numbers from under your mower seat for me?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Rz5424, Model #965881301.
Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

Thanks! Can you give me a moment to pull up a diagram of your mower?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sure
Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for waiting. You have transaxles in your mower. I would like to make a suggestion to you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok
Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

Sorry for the delay. I am having site related issues. I had to reboot my computer. I suggest that you replace your transaxle drive belt first.

Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

Have you noticed any oil leaks on your transaxles, or anywhere in your hydraulic system?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok. I can go pick one up and try it. Any other suggestions in case this doesn't work? Also, will the type oil effect it? I'm not sure what was put in it the last time we had it changed but it's supposed to be a 50 weight, right? Another question, Where is the bypass valve on pump located?
Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

Your transaxles require a good quality 20W50 motor oil. I will check for the location of your bypass levers.

Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

Your bypass rod will be at the rear of your mower, on each side.

Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

Take a look at #21 in the image link above. Try the new belt, and make sure your bypass rods are pushed in, before adding any oil to your transaxles.

Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

If you add oil, you will need to purge your transaxles.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok. Thanks. I will replace drive belt and change oil. Hopefully one of these will fix the problem.
Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

Your are very welcome! Let's hope so. If not, we can continue working together. There are no additional charges for follow questions relating to this problem.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok. Thanks again!
Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

Very good!