Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Replaced key in keyway...replaced drive belt.....runs great

Customer Question

replaced key in keyway...replaced drive belt.....runs great starts great and that's where the problem is. The motor starts no matter where the equipment control is....pulled back to handle or released to lower position .....BUT....it will only shut off if control is pulled back...just the opposite of normal shutoff. Now I had mower up on a sawhorse platform. I tipped it up towards the right side to remove blade. Handle was hanging over right edge of platform. The mower started to tip over on right side . Handle was forced down on edge of board and came off and fell down to towards floor but didn't hit floor and was hanging. I wonder if that is when something was damaged. Mower didn't fall. Maybe something got stretched or what...nothing looks bent or out of place. It would be great if you can help
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 months ago.

Check the wiring at the kill switch on the handle. The switch has to ground the kill wire to kill engine. Wire may be loose or twisted.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
wasn't correct answer....did not answer why motor shuts off opposite of the way it should. No kill switch on handle . May not be familiar wit this model mower. Besides only ONE ANSWER?????

Switch is a push button switch, for it to be working in opposite than it should, the cable to it has to be moving in wrong direction. Toro uses many different designs of handles , and can mount witch on either end, but all work the same. Switch has to be grounded to kill engine, so it grounds when you pull handle!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
with brake handle in any position mower starts....only shuts off when brake handle is brought up to handle...this in reverse operation

Follow the cable to the switch at the bottom, and see if the lever has flipped over and is moving in opposite direction.