Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a 48 inch zero turn I replace the hydraulic pump

Customer Question

I have a scag 48 inch zero turn I replace the hydraulic pump thinking it was going bad then I replace the wheel motor on the right side I Purged the system it will drive right for 15 minutes it starts whining and jerky then I shut it off and after about 20 minutes I started put your arms forward and it won't go for a few seconds It like takes some time for the oil to get in the lines. Am I sucking air in somewhere or getting air in the lines constantly?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

Jason, you likely have an air leak. It could be at one of your fittings.

Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

Look inside your oil reservoir. If your oil is foaming or has excessive bubbles, this indicates an air leak.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No foam or bubbles ever
Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for your reply. What about your drive belt? Is it in good condition, and as tight as it needs to be?

Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

This is a troubleshooting question ...

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It seems tight but a little oily
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not terrible thouth
Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

Are you requesting a phone call?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
that costs an additional 24 on top of 27?
Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

Yes, you are correct. If you like, we can continue on this discussion page.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Yeah that's too pricey sorry
Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

No problem. I prefer to continue on this page. Does your left side continue to perform well, after 15 minutes?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
After it does start to go normally it'll drive good for 10 min then jerky again and I shut it down then 30 minutes later I pushed the arms forward and it won't engage right away but then it will and it's whining at first
Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

Jason, I would like express a thought I have.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It seems lime whole hydraulic system starts getting whiny I don't know I'm too afraid to keep driving it because before I replace the hydraulic pump and the wheel motor I kept blowing the seal out of the bottom of the pump
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
your thought?
Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

If a drive belt is slipping, it can sometimes noticeably affect only one side of your hydraulic drive. You stated that your belt is a little oily. If your belt is oily, it is possible that one of your pump pulleys are also a little oily. It is also possible that an oily belt, can begin to slip after it heats up.

Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

A worn/slipping belt can reduce the performance of even a perfectly working hydro drive system ...

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I suppose I'll clean the belt off and the oil up underneath since I didn't get it all off and maybe possibly just change the belt
Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

As a process of elimination, I would clean the oil from your pump pulleys, and replace the drive belt.

Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

If you had an air leak, you would likely see bubbles, or foaming inside your oil reservoir.

Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

I would definitely purchase an OEM belt.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do know after I change the right hand pump because of blowing the lip seal out of the bottom found out after changing it it wasn't the problem so I changed the right hand wheel motor and I just feel if I keep on driving it right now the lip seals going to blow again so I don't think I've ever really corrected the problem
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The belt does kind of make sense though it just doesn't seem real oily but I never really have clean the oil off of anything
Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

I would like to confirm something. You put in a brand new pump??

Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

We can continue after you replace your belt. There are no additional fees for us to continue.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Cool I'll get back to u tomorrow and yes brand new rh pump and rh wheel motor
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well I cleaned off belt and sprayed belt dressing on it got to first yard and blew the right lip seal out of the pump????
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
After 5-10 min
Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

Jason, I am back with you. Can you get the model numbers from your pump for me? I would like to take a look at your pump.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
PG-1GCC-DY1X-XXXX
Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for these numbers. Your original pump blew the lip seal? Now your new pump has blown a seal too?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Correct. I changed wheel motor also on rh side
Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

Can you give me a minute or two, to pull up a diagram of your pump?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Yesy
Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

When you say blow seal, is the seal actually coming out of the pump, or is it just leaking oil really bad?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Around the pump shaft it blows out just inner part of seal understand?
Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

I understand now. Due to the fact that you had this problem with both pumps, I am lead to believe that you still have air being sucked into your system.

Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

You have either a hose or a fitting that caused the problem with your original pump.

Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

There is a return hose that allows your oil to return to your reservoir. I would check this hose first.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is that the lower hose?
Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

Yes it is. Also, you want to check that hose for restrictions. Make sure that hose hasn't started to collapsed internally, and restricting your oil flow. A restriction in your return hose can cause pressure to build inside your pump.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hose is fine
Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

Did you remove it and check to see if it is restricted?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
blew through it. Its fine
Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

I know it is time consuming, but I would double check each hose and fitting. Pressure is definitely building in your pump.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok I'll get back to u
Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay the hose going from fitting next to dump valve on left pump to filter I grabbed a hold of that hose and down by the filter I could spin it. Does that one have to be extremely tight?
Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

If your hose will spin, this could cause a problem. If it still spins, after you tighten it more, then it will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How about o rings on pumps where the high pressure hoses connected
Expert:  Donald replied 3 months ago.

If you have not replaced the o-rings, I would replace them.