Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

My Poulan 14.539 engine starts and runs well, but fast, when

Customer Question

My Poulan 14.539 engine starts and runs well, but fast, when choked. When it comes up to temperature it runs rough an pops loudly. What's going on?
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Its been nearly an hour. I need this help.Is anyone really working on this?
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

Good morning Patrick. Did our problem occur suddenly, or gradually, over a period of time?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This engine has not run since last fall. Nothing was done to the machine until yesterday. I have replaced the plug, refreshed the gas supply, checked the fuel flow, and cleaned out the needle valve.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for this information. Did you leave gas inside your fuel tank since last fall?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No,, as I said, I refreshed the gasoline. I emptied the old gas out and put new gasoline in.
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

I understand. By the time you emptied your old gas, your old gas likely had already caused some problems inside your carburetor. I can explain this.

Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

Due to the fact that gas has ethanol in it, it will start to turn stale within 45 days or less. Stale gas within turn to gum and varnish, and eventually cause carburetor related issues.

Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

Your old gas remained inside your fuel tank, and inside the bowl of your carburetor, since last fall.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
do I need to pull and clean the carburetor or flush it? What would you do?
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

You are correct. I would pull and clean the carburetor, and inspect the fuel shut off solenoid that screws into the bottom of your carburetor.

Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

Your fuel shut off solenoid could be failing after your engine reaches operating temperature.

Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

This can explain the popping after your engine heats up.

Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

Your fuel shut off solenoid should click each time you cycle your ignition switch on and off. It has a spring loaded plunger that must retract, when your ignition switch is on, to allow fuel to flow within your carburetor. Sometimes this part will fail after it reaches full operating temperature.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
A. How do I tell.
B. Just to be clear, were talking about the electro-magnetic device attached to the underside of the needle/float valve housing.Right?
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

You are correct. To test it, remove it from your carburetor, then re-attach your wiring connector to it. Turn your ignition switch on and off. Watch to see it the plunger retracts, and releases. Watch to see it the plunger retracts, and remains fully retracted while your switch is on.

Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

I would leave your ignition switch for 5 minutes or longer, just to see if your spring loaded plunger will remain retracted, after your fuel solenoid heats up.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If it doesn't work I have to replace it.
What do I do if does work?
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

1) Yes, replace it.

2) If your solenoid is ok after 5 minutes or longer of testing, still give your carburetor a good cleaning, and replace your spark plug. If our problem still exist, then we need to focus on your ignition coil. Ignition coils can fail after they heat up.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay, I was leaning in that direction but didn't know how to proceed.Thanks,I'll try it.
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

You are very welcome! I do hope all goes well for you. Also, thanks for your patience.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have enjoyed the analysis. It can be frustrating if you don't know how the Q&A process goes. We got to speed though and that was good.Have a good weekend.Pat Peeples
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

Very good! I hope your weekend is equally as good as mine.

Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

When you have an opportunity, please take a moment to rate my answer. Thanks!