Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I have a ridgid3000psi, 2.6gpm pressure washer. I used it

Customer Question

I have a ridgid3000psi, 2.6gpm pressure washer. I used it only 3 times total to clean my deck once a year. I tried to start it yesterday and no go. I shut off the water hose and then opened the oil reservoir and water came pouring out of the oil reservoir.
This is a Subaru Robin engine model 8FJXS1691GB and the oil has been changed every year. What can I do?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. Are you sure the oil wasn't thinned down with gas ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
fresh water and at least a litre came out. how could water be in the crankcase ? are there seals that can break over the winter?

What's the model of the pressure washer unit itself? . No most pressure washers the engine slides on the shaft of the motor so the crank case is completely separated but I want to look at diagrams

It sounds like a pimp failure from everything I'm researching

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
RIDGID 3000 PSI 2.6 GPM ORANGE IN COLOUR
MODEL RD80746A

Sorry , my last message was to a different customer . Let me pull diagrams , but it sounds like a pump issue , was it stored in a shed

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The engine would not start at all. I took the dipstick for the oil off and water came out. there was no oil in the reservoir at all just fresh water. How does so much water get into the oil reservoir? this does not make any sense to me. There is no gas in the oil reservoir just water. Should I leave the oil dipstick cap off and let it dry out or is this thing finished?

Try this , can you disconnect the pump from the motor ? , if so buy 2 quarts of oil , drain the water and fill it with oil then drain that oil and fill with the second quart , then with the pump off see if it runs

I'm not sure how it does this either , but if you look up oil in crankcase with a pressure washer , it happens with the craftsman and is the pump

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
will the water in the crankcase damage the engine?
How do I get rid of all the moisture in the crankcase or will the water be in there and ruin the engine.
I thought the engine and pump are completely separated units?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am going to attach the water hose to the pump and turn on the water and pull the oil cap off to see if water comes out of the oil reservoir. If it does then I will know there is a seal failure in the pump and in the engine shaft area also.
If no water comes out then I am going to separate the pump from the motor and drain the water out of the crankcase, Fill it with oil and proceed from there.

Drain the water. Then do a rinse with oil , then drain and refill

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am not sure how this is going to work out so I will try tomorrow to buy oil and do the work I suggested. thank you

If you run it with the first fill up of oil after being drained your going to have some water mixed in with it , I'd drain , flush with one quart then fill it with new oil . See if the oil in the pump is contaminated

Hi were you ever able to do anything else to the pressure washer?