Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Kohler M20 in a 92 Deutz-Allis 1920 Ultima

Customer Question

Hello, my name is***** have a Kohler M20 in a 92 Deutz-Allis 1920 Ultima (rebadged Simplicity Sunstar.) When the engine is good and hot, the governor will stop working, and the engine will run away - overspeed. I am able to quickly throttle to idle, but virtually any further throttle advance will result in rpm runaway - and we idle on back up the the house in low gear. I have cleaned the carb in a good quality ultrasonic tank, and the entire fuel system, including hoses, filter, and pump, has been replaced, and I use K100 for my fuel stabilizer. All springs appear to be in good shape and in the proper holes. The carb has been adjusted according to owners manual. The low idle is set to 900 and max rpm set to 3000 on a cold engine. I notice when this condition occurs, there is oil seepage from a plate near the governor, on the top of the block in front of the engine, just below and left of the oil fill tube, so it seems to me to have something to do with oil pressure. Thoughts?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 9 months ago.

6A.12 page in the above service manual shows the governor for the M20. You have a weight set inside the engine that has to move to controll the top rpm. The governor is driven by the oil pump gear. I think you have a worn governor and the only repair that will do any good is to replace the governor weight and gear.

I see question is still open, did you find problem?