Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I've replaced the traction drive belt on my Deere LTR180, in

Customer Question

Hi, I've replaced the traction drive belt on my John Deere LTR180, in doing so I've removed a very long spring that runs from the front of the mower (under the engine) to another point. I can't find in the owners manual (or remember) where the other anchor point is for the spring.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

Yours should be just like this LTR166. See link above, showing the spring placement points.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've fitted the short spring as shown in the diagram. I've searched through the owners manual and parts listings to find where is much longer spring is to fit but it isn't shown or listed?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Spring shown in attached file.

Only spring even close is the brake spring in link above. Where did you find spring? It was attached? Does the drive work?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It was attached, just tested mower drives fine. Now fitting mower deck and will test. If it works I'm stumped as to what it could be for!

Are you the original owner? It may have been an extra spring someone added for more tension on drive or brake.

I see question is still open, did you determine if it needed this spring?