JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Husqvarna Service Tech
94737911

What does the rectifier do on a 23 hp kohler engine

Customer Question

what does the rectifier do on a 23 hp kohler engine
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be happy to help get your issue resolved here. I know you are wanting to know what the rectifier does, but what is the issue you are having with engine/machine?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the problem im having is that its not wanting to turn over and the rectifier everytime i plug it in it blows the fuse and when i unplug it and add new fuse it stays but as soon as i plug the rec, in pops the fuse whats my problem
Expert:  JON replied 4 months ago.

The (regulator) rectifier is a combined unit. It does the rectifying part as well the regulation part. It is part of a battery charging system. It gets an AC power feed from the stator coil mounted under the flywheel. Then rectifies the voltage, which turns the voltage from AC into DC. The regulator regulates the DC voltage being put out. Most are limited to a maximum of about 14.5 volts and feeds this to the battery.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok well what is causing it to not turn over all i hear is clicking in the engine but engine isnt turning over i just got this mower bout 2 hrs ago so dont no much abot it other that the rec. is bad
Expert:  JON replied 4 months ago.

From what you are describing, it sounds like you have a short in the wiring. I would look for a bare spot or melted looking spot in the wiring. If when you plug the rectifier in ( completing the circuit) it blows fuses, there is a short in the wiring or short in rectifier.

Expert:  JON replied 4 months ago.

Try to jump the solenoid and see if mower will start. if you are hearing the clicking it is either a bad solenoid (which normally you hear nothing) but worth checking as its free and easy to do

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
if i get a new rec and put it on say if there was a short somewhere would it damage the rec or will it hold up
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
because ive looked for a short and didnt see one
Expert:  JON replied 4 months ago.

try jumping the solenoid and if that doesn't work, let me know and we can troubleshoot from there, as there are a number of things that can be tried.

It could damage the new one if the problem is not in the old rectifier and in the wiring.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i tried jump the starter to with jumpers and still nothing but i clicking from under the engine cover
Expert:  JON replied 4 months ago.

Make sure battery cables are good and tight, and that the solenoid wires are good and tight also. Sometimes the clicking noise is heard as you are not getting the voltage required to start engine. What is the battery voltage at currently?

Like I said, there are a number of tests we can go through on this machine with this issue.

did you put power directly to the starter with cables?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
idk the voltage at the moment the mower has dirty screen and yes ive put it directly to the starter and nothing happened
Expert:  JON replied 4 months ago.

If you put power directly to the starter and nothing happened, you may have a bad starter. Can you turn top of engine over with your hand and spin the flywheel?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
on this particulkar mower do i have to be sitting on it in order to start it and can i start it turning over with the rec unhooked and yes i can spin with my hand
Expert:  JON replied 4 months ago.

You should be able to turn it over out of seat, some will start too. make sure brake is locked down, and key is in ON position.

Expert:  JON replied 4 months ago.

When you put power to the starter, and nothing happens, that tells me the starter is not working properly. When you power the starter only, you are by passing all switches and mower should turn over. If not, starter is bad

Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

Just checking in to see how things are going. Have you been able to fix your issue. Let me know if you need anything else as am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to be the BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this.