JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Husqvarna Service Tech

I have a Deere LA-115 42" Deck (from Lowe's) and an old 38"

Customer Question

I have a John Deere LA-115 42" Deck (from Lowe's) and an old 38" deck off an older John Deere. The brackets sheared off the 42" deck & I was wondering if the 38" deck can be utilized? In other words, are John Deere mowing decks interchangeable?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.

Do you know what model the 38" deck is off of? Anything will work with modifications. As far as an easy swap, model number of other machine would help as I can look up part numbers. Most of them will work, but you will of course need to change belt sizes. make sure to check the deck mounts, and measure that they are approx. the same. They can be off a little and still be utilized. You have to also consider the PTO engagement, are they the same or will things need to be changed for this also.

Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.

All in all, JOHN DEERE decks are interchangeable, but it does depend on model of machines