Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a gravely zt xl 2548. Bought it new 7 yrs ago and

Customer Question

I have a gravely zt xl 2548. Bought it new 7 yrs ago and haven't never had to do anything but change battery and blades. It's been a great mower. Today was cutting and it stopped going. I got to looking and the tensioner spring popped off drive belt. I put a new belt and put it all back together and it moved 3" and want move any further. Any ideas would be great. It's Wednesday and my daughter bday party sat. And I can't cut the grass. This couldn't have picked a better time.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.

Do either right or left control move mower? Do the arms feel dead? For both arms (transmissions) to lose function, the only common part is the drive belt. Go back and check and I think you will find new belt is off a pulley! That and the two release levers for free wheel are the only things that can affect drive on both sides!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Belts are on pulleys. Yes both arms feel dead

If both arms are dead, the pulleys on top of the transmissions are not turning. Check the belt at the engine pulley!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yea belt and pulleys turning just not moving mower. Could the transmission on each wheel have went out? It's seems like it would have on both. From the start of everything, the spring came off tensionor and belt got ate up

Tranmissions didn't go out! Either belt is loose, or the free wheel levers got pulled!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What you mean by got pulled?

It has free wheels levers, that you pull to move mower without running engine. They keep transmissions from driving when pulled.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Oh I know what you talking about. They at the rear. Yea my guy pulled one of them. So if belt is on pulleys and spring on tensionor, could it be a bad pulley or spring? The spring was still stiff cause I fought with it for 30 min

It has to be belt being loose, or the freewheel levers being pulled out, Push the freewheel levers in and see if mower will drive.

I have to go walk the dogs! Be back in hour!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thanks

OK> I'M back!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I had to run a few service calls. I own a a/c business. I'll be back in 11/2 hrs.

OK> That is priority! It will be over 100 here today! Texas

I see question is still open, did you find problem?