Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

Have a Deere zero turn 48 inch deck. It will turn right and

Customer Question

Have a john Deere zero turn 48 inch deck. It will turn right and left, but will not go forward or backward. Can you give me some guidance. I am a female and the costs are all over the place.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Just happened. Had a flat, fixed it and then went to cut the lawn. Some wet spots and then the fire went flat and just kept turning one way. Had the flat repaid, but know I have this situation. It will turn both ways, but not forward or backwards.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Hell no!! I am a female. All I know how to do is cut the lawn:)! I can get someone to do it, that has knowledge, but the cost seems high. The lawn mower is about 7 years old.
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Z245 48TD; seven years old!
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Normal wear and tear. about an acre. mow about every two weeks because in NC and it gets hot. Have it completely tuned every two years. Did it last year. Property slopes and the wet spot that it got caught on was really wet because of all the rain we have had. Some say its the pump, others the belt (online).
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 months ago.

!! With both sides not working properly, and it will turn with either arm, left and right? There is only one common part, and that is the drive belt between the engine and the transmissions. Get the drive belt replaced and that should let it work properly. If pump was bad, it would only be one pump, and that side would be dead!