John Oliver
John Oliver,
Experience:  manager at White Eagle Ag and Truck Services

My Toro weedeater will not stay running. It starts fine in

Customer Question

My Toro weedeater will not stay running. It starts fine in both the choke on and off position but requires that I keep it on full throttle. If I let off the throttle it stalls. Any thoughts? Thanks
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: New fuel
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have changed the fuel filter at the end of the gas line that sits in the tank. I've cleaned the main port of the card with carb cleaner. Changed the spark plug and checked both air filter and muffler for blockage
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  John Oliver replied 2 months ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will be your tech today. first off are you running the highest grade fuel you can?

it sounds like you have a plugged low jet inside the carb. if you are looking for a fix that doesn't require tool I suggest that you pick up a bottle of sea foam and add it to the tank. run the machine as long as you can stand it and see if that doesn't help clear out some of the gum that is clogging your carb. if that does not cure your issue you will need to remove the carb, strip it down and have it cleaned. for smaller 2 cycle machines sometimes it isn't worth the time and effort to rebuild the carb because they are very inexpensive and can just simply be replaced.

any luck with this?