JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a 21.0 HP 42 inch mower that will not start. I have

Customer Question

I have a 21.0 HP 42 inch mower that will not start. I have replaced the battery ,key switch solenoid, tested the starter, checked the fuse and still nothing. When I turn the key I do get the clicking sound.
I live in the country and do not have a trailer to take it to a repair shop. I hope you have some suggestions.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 5 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Since you are getting a clicking sound it would suggest that you at least are getting power to the solenoid. Can you tell me if you are getting power to the starter when you try to start the engine? How many total terminals are on your solenoid (3 or 4)?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
4

The clicking sound tells me that all of your safety switches are activating and that you are at least getting power to the solenoid. The fuse has to be good and the battery has to at least have some voltage in it.

Have you done a battery load test? I know that you replaced the battery but I have seen even brand new batteries not be fully charged or have a bad cell in them.

Do you have a voltmeter?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The Battery shows 12+ volts.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I replaced te battery, then the key switch, then th solenoid with the same relults.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I took the starter and ran a test on it. It spins fully.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
R U still there?

But is your battery reading or test being done under a load or just a static test? In order to truly know what condition the battery is in it needs to be load tested. You can do this with a voltmeter and testing the battery when you are actually trying to start the engine. Watch your meter to see what happens when you are trying to crank the engine.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK, I will give it a try but I don't think that will make any difference. Will get back to you when I have done it.

Since all you get is a click it either has to be a bad or low battery or the solenoid is not grounded properly to the frame. With a four post solenoid you rarely ever see the ground be an issue. I would rather think that you have a bad or low battery. You can also check for voltage coming down to the starter as well when you try to start the engine and see what if anything you are getting to the starter post.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
None of this seems to work. I guess I will have to find a way to haul it to the shop.Thanks

I am sorry that I could not be of more assistance to you.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Was unable to solve problem.

I would be interested to know what they find wrong with it. I still believe that it is a bad or low battery issue. You never did give me the readings if any at the starter post when trying to crank the engine.

The battery can show 12+ volts with no load and when a load is applied if it drops below 8.5 volts it will not crank the engine you will just get a click at the solenoid.