Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

PTO on zero turn M&W mower shuts off for about 13 seconds

Customer Question

PTO on zero turn M&W mower shuts off for about 13 seconds and then comes back on by itself. Whenever it shuts off, it always shuts off for about 13 seconds and then its right back on again.
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: M&W 2090V with over 500 hours on it. Bought it used.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I have a repair guy that works on it every year for me. He's not sure what's going on with this PTO thing tho.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Can't think of anything.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

Electric pto clutch has to have 12 volts to stay engaged. Is your battery votage good and stays above 12 volts when the pto is engaged? Do you have any battery problem, where you have to charge battery or jump o start? Is the clutch the adjustable kid, with three springs and self locking nuts? If it is, you can tighten the self locking nuts up to move the armature closer to the magnet, which will make it easier to stay engaged. might be wort a try. Here is Utube video on adjusting a clutch.