Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I just serviced my Onan 4000, model number 4kya26100k anyway

Customer Question

I just serviced my Onan 4000, model number 4kya26100k anyway it's a 33.3 Amps it will run for about 45minutes then quit, i wait a few minutes and crank it again it runs about 30seconds and quits again, then i quit.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It was doing good, and ran all night, the next morning i went into a store and came back and it was dead, so I waited a few minutes, tried it it started for about 10seconds and quit, then i turned around and came home!
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can't hear good enough to understand what you saying, (loss of hearing).
Expert:  James-cssm replied 4 months ago.
Hi Kurtis,
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. http://www.justanswer.com/small-engine/9u7m0-just-serviced-onan-4000-model-number-4kya26100k-anyway.html. Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

This most often points to either a fuel issue or an ignition issue.

Lets see what fault code is set.

Go to the genset and use the switch on the set itself.
Press 'Stop' 3 times within 5 seconds. The light in the switch will startflashing.
If the light flashes 3 times, pauses for 3seconds, and flashes 3 more times, press and immediatelyrelease 'Stop' one more time.

This will put the controller into Fault Read Mode.

The light will flash (X) number of times, pause for 1 second, and flash for(X) number of times again. Count the flashes before and after the pause.

This will be the Fault Code.

Example: 2 rapid flashes, 1second pause, 5 rapid flashes is a Fault Code 25.

There may be more than one Fault Code stored, so watch the lightvery carefully. If there is more than one code, it will display them all inorder, and then start over again.

Be very careful not to misread a first level fault code (singledigit code) as a second level fault code (double digit code).

The way to tell the difference is by the length of the pauses.

There is a 1 second pausebetween digits of a second level code, and a 3 second pause between codes.

For example, if it is flashing 2 times, 1 second pause, flashing 2times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a second level fault code of22.

If it is flashing 2 times, 3 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3second pause and repeating, then this is a first level fault code of 2.

What Fault Code are you getting?

.