Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I have an older Onan 6.5 KW NHE Emerald generator that I put

Customer Question

I have an older Onan 6.5 KW NHE Emerald generator that I put in my RV that came "Generator ready" with the remote start switch and HR meter installed in the coach. The wiring harness from the remote start panel has 5 wires and the plug on the generator also has 5 wires. The problem is that the colors on the wires do not match nor does the plug match. The plug that goes into the generator is a 6 pin flat plug. The plug on the wiring harness from the remote start switch is rectangular.
Old plug:
#1 - Black
#2 - Brown
#3 - Yellow
#4 - Empty
#5 - Orange
#6 - Red
Wires from remote start switch are brown, orange, red, blue and green.I am asking for a simple "tie the red wire on the generator plug to the orange wire on the remote start switch harness" type of answer please.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

It is not as simple at that.

There is no standard color scheme used for a remote system. All wires must be checked for origin an destination.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Poor response. Of absolutely no value