JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Husqvarna Service Tech
94737911

I have a fairly old Deere lawn tractor with a Kohler model

Customer Question

I have a fairly old John Deere lawn tractor with a Kohler model cv13s engine. Recently it shuts down without warning and when i try to restart it will turn over but backfire but wont start. if i let it set for a while it will usually start up and run normally. Other times on a cold start it will crank and backfire but not start. Some times it will fire right up and run smoothly. Any suggestions?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 4 months ago.

if you are getting backfire, the intake/exhaust valves are not working properly or carb is inserting too much fuel. I would try to clean out carb first. I am almost certain you have the Kohler Command engine with Hydro lifters and non adjustable valves. You can check the coil GAP and make sure it is correct. I would replace spark plug or at least check for dirty fouled plug. Let me know how all the above things are and if problem persists afterwards