JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have problem with the chain brake on the Poulan Pro 20"

Customer Question

I have problem with the chain brake on the Poulan Pro 20" chain saw. The "spokes" on the housing on the clutch cover paper to be frozen in the locked position. I MAY have removed the clutch cover with the chain brake engaged. Do you know how I can unfreeze that?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer.

So is the sprocket itself stuck ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Should it move freely when the clutch cover is off?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you there?

Yes I'm here , it should once the brake is released , did you pull the guard back to you ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
John, if you're not going to at least acknowledge me, can, I have another technician?

Did you not see my reply ? ,

I'm not sure if it's not posting etc . You should be able to move the sprocket with the safety brake released , that's when the plastic handle guard is pulled back towards you

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry. Must be a delay. When I install the cover the chain brake won't release. And it's hard to get the cover on because the clutch is engaged

Ok if you pull the handle back first can you slip the sprocket on ?

That would be the easiest point because there should be no tension on the sprocket

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have the cover off. Once I DO get it on it won't let me pull back the chain brake to release it.

Have you tried pulling back then putting the cover on ? ,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Handle won't line up because the sprocket is in the locked position. I thought if I moved it to the unlocked position it would line up but I can't get it to move.

Yeah it should because the clutch drives the sprocket front he inside and the brake goes arround the outside right ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Correct

So the bar pulled in should expand the putter loop wider ,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
You don't appear to have an answer for me. I have to get this saw going today. I'll try another resource. Please acknowledge.

I was ting to find a manual for you , try looking at diagrams it looks like your cover came off with the brake engaged . Try this , remove the sprocket and put the handle in the locked position , now with the sprocket off put the side cover on and pull the handle back . This should disengage the brake . Then remove the side cover and try installing the sprocket , let me know if this works

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Won't come out. Fitted in too tight. It lifts but the largest arm is locked in by the spring from the loop.

Ok let me opt out and see if another technician can help you.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 4 months ago.

HI, my name is***** will be assisting you.

As I am reading the other comments that have been provided I can only see one other solution that was not mentioned.

Remove the plastic hand guard or brake lever from the machine, fit it onto the side cover with the side cover flat on the floor or work bench, hold the side cover while moving the brake lever back in order to disengage the brake. It sounds like the brake assembly was engaged and you removed the side cover and now it will not allow you to put the cover back on without locking up the sprocket. You have to get that brake disengaged before installing the side cover back on the machine. Once you get the brake released then you can reinstall everything.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
John, I appreciate your response but I just Google it and fixed it myself. Can you advise how to cancel my service with your site. It was not helpful at all.

Did you agree to a monthly membership?

If not then you don't need to do anything at all. If you did then you will need to contact customer support in order to cancel the membership.

Thank you and have a great day and upcoming week!!!