Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have an onan 5k generator mounted on the top of a horse

Customer Question

Hello I have an onan 5k generator mounted on the top of a horse trailer that I recently purchased. There is a 20 gallon fuel tank mounted near the bottom of the trailer. When I bought the trailer the previous owner ran the generator and showed me the prime operation. Even when primed the generator turned over for what seemed to be a lengthy period of time before starting.
I used the generator without a problem except for the lengthy turn over time before starting (10 to 15 seconds) for about 10 hours. It then became somewhat hit and miss starting and running for a while and then stopping. It usually started right back up but became progressively harder to restart until finally becoming nearly impossible to start.
I noticed that the fuel pump and filter were mounted on the generator at the top of the trailer. In my experience these pumps push better than draw. I mounted an electric pump and filter near the tank to act a lift pump to the generator.
The generator fired back up and ran until I turned it off but would not start again. I noticed some small fuel leaks from cracked fuel lines which were now under pressure instead of vacuum. I replaced the leaky lines but the generator still will not start.
When priming the fuel system with the carb hose off I seem to get a good stream of fuel.
When turning the generator over it seems to fire and then die immediately.
It seems like there may be a small replaceable fuel filter which is part of the fuel inlet on the carb.
Any thoughts?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What is the full model number of the genset?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Oman 5500 marquis gold
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Onan
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

That is not a model number, it is a family series.

There are about 2 dozen models that carry the Marquis Gold label.

I need to know the actual model number of your unit.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

Did you get the model number yet?