Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers
32407143

I have the 25cc PP engine that accepts the 1000E edger and

Customer Question

I have the 25cc PP engine that accepts the 1000E edger and the 125 trimmer head. When I attempt to attach either attachment to the powered end of the shaft, it will not advance far enough to completely engage.......help!
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 4 months ago.
Sounds like one of the shafts may be damaged, as I would say upper since it happens with both attachments. It could also just not be lining up correctly. Check the upper shaft for any damage
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was able to determine this myself before contacting the tech. What needs to be done to correct it...there is no visible shaft or coupler damage...the upper metal shaft inserts partially into the plastic female coupler on the lower shaft. There is no obstacle in the coupler....
Expert:  JON replied 4 months ago.

If the shaft part on your machine Square looking or Splined

Expert:  JON replied 4 months ago.

Try twisting the shafts together as if there is no visible damage it may just be a tight fit into the plastic due to heat shrinkage of the shaft

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The shaft is square. The shafts are too far down the tubular shaft to twist....they rotate freely. I thought heat causes expansion.....
Expert:  JON replied 4 months ago.

I was meaning twist the head or blade so that it rotates the shaft while trying to insert them together. they also have a little room to move up/down side/side, and sometimes you have to twist the heads to get it lined up just right. I have had this issue many times and had to do this. If they still do not go together, it is a sign that the shaft is worn, has a damaged spot.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did that prior to contacting you....no change....
Expert:  JON replied 4 months ago.

I will OPT OUT and maybe another expert can help you in this matter then. Please do not respond as it will lock me back to the question and another expert will not see the question.

Expert:  Vince O. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, does the upper shaft spin freely? Insert a screwdriver into the coupler and spin it. Sometimes the upper shaft moves downward and comes out of the clutch drum or the clutch breaks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks but i am out of time to fix it...will take to shop Monday for repair...please ensure that i incur no charges here...will be in touch if another issue arises