Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Onan Emerald Plus 4000, Model#: 4bgefa26100p. S/N:

Customer Question

Onan Emerald Plus 4000, Model#: 4bgefa26100p. S/N: c990879371 in a 5th wheel.
Outputting correct voltage, everything runs EXCEPT when trying to start the air conditioner. AC tries to start and immediately drops out. Everything else still works. (I'm helping a friend) He had genny in to a shop because it wouldn't run. Runs now and repairman says it's running OK. He started and ran AC on genny at his shop (he said). Does this model have an ECO mode? If so, where does it switch? Genny does not look level to me but owner says it's been that way from day one. Any help appreciated.
DICK
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

The voltage may be correct coming out of the generator but the wattage may not be enough to run the ac.This can be due to a poor repair in the shop on the generator or an issue with the ac start up capacitor damaged needing replaced or the compressor is drawing to much amperage.This will have to be checked into/tested further to pinpoint which component is the cause here and repaired from there.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,a rating of 4 or 5 is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Pete--Thanks for the reply.
To me in seemed like the genny was running too slow but the tech (not Onan) told them it was OK. Tomorrow I'm going to idle it up a bit and then try the AC. The AC does start when hooked up to shore power (110V) so I don't think it's the capacitor.
Thanks again,
DICK
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Today I used a "Kill A Watt'' meter to check the gen. It showed 80HZ. Checked meter in my home and it was right on 60HZ. Don't know how to make the adjustment needed on the gen.Thanks
DICK
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

This is a tough one for me to be able to answer here myself.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete