Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I PUT ON NEW GAS LINES AND NEW FUEL FILER ON A 20 HP BRIGGS

Customer Question

I PUT ON NEW GAS LINES AND NEW FUEL FILER ON A 20 HP BRIGGS AND STRATION MOTOR IT RAN FOR A COUPLE MINUTES THEN QUIT. IT WAS RUNNING FINE BEFORE I PUT NEW ITEMS ON
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: HOUR AND A HALF
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: IF I CAN
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: NOPE
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

Do you have fuel flowing to the inlet ofthe carburetor? If you do, you likley have debris from old fuel line ,lodged in the needle valve passage, clogging the needle valve. You would need to remove the float bowl and the needle valve and float and the inlet line, and blow back toward the inlet, to clear any debris.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
there is no fuel in the new in line gas filter

Fuel line from tank to the fuel pump inlet has to be vacuum tight, and the P line(pulse) line from the crankcase has to be on the P port of the fuel pump or pump does not work.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
do you think I should use clamps that can be tighten down instead of the ones on presently being yused which are installed with pliers

Both should be fine, as long as they fit. Is the fuel pump hooked up correctly?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I only took of the fuel line coming from the fuel filter going to fuel pump so the fuel pump wasn't messed with. I was puzzled to see no fuel in gas filter after repeadly turnin g the motor over.

If you remove line at the carburetor and at the line you installed, and hold finger over the hose while you suck on it, is the hose vacuum tight? It should be. But if there is a tiny leak, it will not hold vacuum. Next would be to test the line from fuel filter to the tank.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did not go near the carb. I only disconnected line going from tank to the fuel pump carb. is after the fuel pump with another hose I did not touch the mower worked fine before I put on new lines and in line filter

Everything before the fuel pump has to be vacuum tight. You say fuel filter is empty, so the fuel pump is not sucking. That indicates that there is a leak in the vaccum side. Everything after the fuel pump is under pressure. ???

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I put on a new fuel pump thinking that could be problem and also blew out the gas cap thinking that may help still no gas going into that in-line gas filter inbetween tank and fuel filter

What is the application? Is the fuel outlet in the tank from the top or the bottom of the tank? Deere uses a top tube, and it has to be vacuum tight?

Quick test would be to make test line direct from the pump inlet line, into another fuel container, to see it it will suck fuel and start engine. If it does, you know the tank or lines to the pump are plugged or leaking vacuum.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
hey I tried that and filter filled with fuel engine started. now what, so a son stopped by next daythru great debate it was semized they could be a fuel line inside tank maybe, took off the fitting on top of fuel tank and low and behold the gas line rotted off at the fitting new one put on presto a running motor just likebefore all that effort it was to bad we didn't think of that a little sooner

Good Job! Please rate in a positive manner and that will close the question and get me credit! Thanks.