Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Dixon 4423; new battery. Went to start it and it was dead;

Customer Question

Dixon 4423; new battery. Went to start it and it was dead; thought the kids might have left the key in the lights position. By accident I crossed the jumper cables when I went to jump it. There was a whirring sound coming out of the engine and there was a little puff of smoke. I corrected the jumper cables and it started right up but wouldn't hold a charge and the power take-off for the mower deck wouldn't come on. I called Dixon and they suggested replacing the 15 amp circuit breaker and the relay. I did that but same results. The breaker use seems "loose"; there's nothing to it that seems to be able to be reset.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 months ago.

What engine do you have? Briggs twin? There is a stator/alternator coil under the flywheel. could this be where the smoke came from? If so, stator is likley burned up, and needs to be replaced along with the voltage regulator.