Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Keep blowing the 40 amp fuse that is connected to the

Customer Question

keep blowing the 40 amp fuse that is connected to the starter. What can be wrong? Have already put a new starter on.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

When does this fuse blow? Immediately upon turning the ignition switch to on/run position? Only after attempting to crank the engine?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
upon turning the ignition switch to on/run position.

This is an indication that you have a direct short somewhere in the wiring system that is pulling way to much amperage instantly. It could be a wire grounded out or pinched.

It was doing this same thing prior to installing a new starter?

My suggestion is to trace all the wiring and make certain that there are no bare spots or pinched wires in the system. It could even be that two or more wires have melted together which would cause it to do this as well.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it did it before installing new starter

Most likely there was nothing wrong with your old starter. It is going to be a tedious task but I suggest checking the wiring. I believe that you will find either wiring that is pinched, shorted out to the frame or wiring that is melted together that is causing this issue.

It only blows the fuse after you turn the ignition key on right?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is there a schematic of the wiring anywhere

Let me check and see if I have or can find one for you. Kubota doesn't do a very good job with their schematics but I will see what I have or can find.

Give me a moment.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will have to go out tomorrow to check the wiring since it is storming now. Do I just get back on here to let you know if I have found it?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok I am sorry but I misinformed you. The fuse blows when you plug it in even when everything is off.

If the fuse blows as soon as you plug it in then you have a direct short in the wiring. I do not have a wiring schematic for that machine. I even searched the internet for a wiring schematic on that model and can't find anything that will help you. The best solution that I can offer is just to do a really good visual inspection of the entire wiring harness.

If you want to do that and then continue our conversation you can. All you need to do is come back here and we can continue anytime that you are ready.

Have a great evening, I look forward to talking again.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok thank you we will check it out tomorrow if the rain lets up since it is sitting out in the middle of the yard. It all first started when I had started my first swipe on this really tall grass. I went about 30 ft and then it died, I tried to start it again but it tried then went capute.

I will be waiting to hear back from you. Until then have a great evening.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
we cannot find the short anywhere. we are just going to take it to the shop and have it fixed. Thanks for you help though.