Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Command Pro 20 HP motor on my zero turn Z series

Customer Question

I have a Command Pro 20 HP motor on my zero turn Z series mower that shuts down after it runs for a good while & the oil disappears from crankcase & won't start. Then after it cools off completely - the oil is back in the crankcase & it starts.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. With the engine cold check the oil to see if it smells like gas.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't think it does

Is it thin at all

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It looks normal clean. Where could it possibly disappear to??

That's my concern . It doesn't disappear and come back , but oil can thin if gas mixes with it . So if your carb is allowing gas into the crankcase and it's mixing with the oil it will thin it , then it thins more as it gets hot

Has the carburetor been rebuilt or worked in recently ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No! I agree the oil just doesn't disappear come back NORMALLY! If it was mixing with gas- wouldn't it eventually be so diluted - either one, it wouldn't even start or run? Also, do they all have an oil cooler? A sentry switch? And what's the breather oil separator do?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ya know what - I think I'm just gonna take it somewhere to get serviced! I've been messing with this thing for 3 weeks now and you were my last resort. And this didn't gete anywhere either! NO OFFENSE but the answers I got were pretty much grade school answers. Sorry

Grade school ... I haven't even began to troubleshoot, that's why I'm asking you to check the oil , if gas keeps mixing in it it locks the motor up eventually

What happens is the oil gets thinner , so your gas rank would be empty before use , that's why I said make sure the oil has no gas odor to it

Can you give me the model number off your motor itself .

Oil thins as its gets hot , if your oil is full when cold that's full with the filter etc . So if it's not smoking then it could be allowing blow by , but you would see oil on the air filter . They don't have a oil cooler, and you most likely have a oil filter but it would be full of oil when you check it when it's cold

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I AM SO SORRY! I didn't mean to offend you. Look @ it from my end! This mower''s pushing me over the edge for 3 weeks and then I'm looking on the internet all the time then I try this and you know how stuff is on the internet you never know what you're gonna get! People are always ripping someone off. AND ANOTHER PROBLEM I HAVE IS I CANNOT GET THE SERIAL # CAUSE IT'S COMPLETELY WORN OFF!

It should have a tag on the engine saying something like ch20

Hi just checking to see if you had the mower looked at or found the engine model number

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
YOU ACTUALLY THOUGHT YOUR ANSWERS WERE WORTH CHARGING ME THE ADDITIONAL COST?? IS THIS SOME SORTA JOKE??? I THOUGHT IF I FELT YOUR ANSWER WAS HELPFUL I WAS CHARGED THE REST AND I THOUGHT I MADE IT CLEAR THAT THEY WEREN'T?? WHAT A RIP OFF!!
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 3 months ago.

We have no control over what just answer charges. You can contact customer service for a refund. We as technicians only get paid when a customer is satisfied with a answer , so whatever you were charged was done by just answer so I would recommend contacting customer service .

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
YEAH-OK!! That's why when I did a Google search looking for info about my Kohler motor problem, I found other questions & answer conversations between this website & people working on their stuff and @ the end of the conversation the technicians asked if their assistance was worth charging the additional cost after the initial $5 fee OR NOT!!
SERIOUSLY - DO YOU HONESTLY THINK ANYTHING YOU WROTE WAS HELPFUL IN ANY WAY @ ALL TO ME - ANY OF THE GRADESCHOOL ANSWERS @ ALL???

Listen , if you think we are in charge of what your charged you are sadly mistaken . Do you see that screen shot , do you see that little box saying I'm ready to be rated ? . When I click that and receive a good to excellent rating I get paid . I don't click it or ask to be rated till I resolve the customers problem. I don't ask for tips either, but every expert is different . So again contact customer service because we don't get your payment info , cc info etc . And my answers weren't grade school , oil doesn't disappear and reappear. It doest sneak out and go to a party and come back when the engine cools off . The motor either could have gas in the oil which thins it or it doesn't have the right weight oil in it . The engine could shut off from a low oil sensor , or if your compressing falls once hot . Have you ran a compression test before starting and after it dies ?