Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My generat or will only run about 15 min then shuts down I

Customer Question

My generat or will only run about 15 min then shuts down I wait 30 min it will restart run 15 min and stop again I'm only running 1 a c unit what can I do
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 5 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

It sounds like you are running out of fuel in the carburetor and not getting enough back to it fast enough in order to keep the engine running. After you let is sit for a little while it will restart and run again until it does the same thing. The first thing that I would do it pull the fuel line off at the carburetor and make certain that you have a good steady fuel flow coming from the tank to the carburetor and that it does not have any restrictions. Then I would remove the float bowl from the bottom of the carburetor, hook the fuel line back up to the carburetor and make certain that you have a good steady fuel flow coming into the carburetor bowl through the float valve and seat.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

I have been an Onan technician for 15 years.

As you already know, this unit does not have its own fuel tank, but I can definitely help you.

First, I need the full model number of the genset, written exactly as it appears on the data label.

If this is an HGJ series genset, I will also need the fault code it is giving.

Go to the genset and use the switch on the set itself.
Press 'Stop' 3 times within 5 seconds. The light in the switch will start flashing.
If the light flashes 3 times, pauses for 3 seconds, and flashes 3 more times, press and immediately release 'Stop' one more time.
This will put the controller into Fault Read Mode.
The light will flash (X) number of times, pause for 1 second, and flash for (X) number of times again. Count the flashes before and after the pause.
This will be the Fault Code.
Example: 2 rapid flashes, 1 second pause, 5 rapid flashes is a Fault Code 25.
There may be more than one Fault Code stored, so watch the light very carefully. If there is more than one code, it will display them all in order, and then start over again.

Be very careful not to misread a first level fault code (single digit code) as a second level fault code (double digit code).
The way to tell the difference is by the length of the pauses.
There is a 1 second pause between digits of a second level code, and a 3 second pause between codes.
For example, if it is flashing 2 times, 1 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a second level fault code of 22.
If it is flashing 2 times, 3 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a first level fault code of 2.

What Fault Code are you getting?
.

If this is a BGM series genset, I need the model number to be able to give you the first step. There are 8 different versions of the BGM series.