JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Husqvarna Service Tech
94737911

I have a Honda gx240 on my cement mixer that I recently

Customer Question

Hello! I have a Honda gx240 on my cement mixer that I recently replaced the carburetor/housing, fuel tank, exhaust, and recoil. Starts like usual, first pull. We weren't having any major malfunctions with the motor other than choking it to keep it running enough to do our jobs. Now with new parts it falls on its face when you give it fuel.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 4 months ago.

If you can keep it running by being choked, there is something in carb jet. Even though it is a new carb, it can happen. Remove carb and blow compressed air into center jet (better to remove jet). run a small wire through the jet if you have one just to make sure all is clear. Let me know the outcome

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have actually had this to another tech and he removed the carb and jet and did just what you suggested. Same running condition.
Expert:  JON replied 4 months ago.

Is it an actual Honda OEM carb or aftermarket? I have had these same issues with aftermarket carb even though new. I usually just end up having to replace the carb again. I can OPT OUT and let another expert try to help you with this issue

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We took the carb off another gx 240 that runs good but still has the same issue. Would valve adjustment help or should that make a difference?
Expert:  JON replied 4 months ago.

It could but rare. Its rare that you have to adjust Honda valves on these engines. Have to be careful not to get too tight, or you will ruin the engine.

Expert:  JON replied 4 months ago.

Intake should be 0.006

Exhaust should be 0.008

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Its been great for ten years, basically no issues. This has got me me stumped.
Expert:  JON replied 4 months ago.

you can +/- 0.001 on either side if needed .

I normally stay -0.001 on each side to be safe.

How r the Governor spring(s).

those are great motors. before I done small engines, I layed block/brick and has 2 mixers . one with a 5hp Honda and the other an 8hp. never a running issue. very dependable engine.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The governor springs are new and put on exactly the same as before.
Expert:  JON replied 4 months ago.

I would check the valves then and see what they are set at.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just stumped. I am still not sure what to do.
Thank you for your help
Expert:  JON replied 4 months ago.

How were the valves? It sounds like you have done everything I would have done also. Let me know how the valves are. I will keep searching for possible issues