JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Husqvarna Service Tech
94737911

Do I have to remove the clutch to replace the drive belt on

Customer Question

Do I have to remove the clutch to replace the drive belt on a x 500 riding mower
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 7 months ago.

Yes, you will need to drop the clutch down to install belt on the drive pulley. Once you remove the bolt/washer holding clutch up, you may have to move, wiggle, and jar it back and forth to get it to fall down as the keyway will most likely hold it in place. You can use a pulley puller, but be careful to only hook the back side of the clutch as to not pull it apart.

Expert:  JON replied 7 months ago.

John Deere actually has a special tool to remove the clutch, but usually it can be removed by rotating back and forth on the shaft and getting it loosen up. Use some PB Blaster or WD40 to help it come off

Expert:  JON replied 7 months ago.

Pull the BIG spacer off after you remove bolt also, as it makes it easier to remove clutch

Expert:  JON replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  JON replied 7 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you were able to get the clutch off and the belt installed Let me know if you need anything else