Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have 97 hours on a 4000 W Kohler generator that is in a 98

Customer Question

I have 97 hours on a 4000 W Kohler generator that is in a 98 boat. We have not been able to get it to start even with starting fluid. I pulled the spark plugs and they looked ok. It acts like it is not getting gas or a kill switch is on. BUT...I dont know what the best plan of attack would be. I would appreciate any ideas you would have to help me get this thing running.
Thanks, Paige
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

If you have attempted to start after spraying with starting fluid, and still not start, would check for spark. If you have spark, and spray fluid into it, it will fire for a moment if it is something else. Check for spark at plug(s) and let me know the outcome.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
already checked the spark plugs. They looked ok. cleaned them and put them back in.
Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.

If you have spark at the plugs, and it doesn't fire up when manually inserting fuel into cylinder, you will most likely have either a compression issue or it is firing at the wrong time or weak spark