Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I have an 1984 Jamboree. It has a Onan 4.0 Genset. When I

Customer Question

I have an 1984 Jamboree. It has a Onan 4.0 Genset. When I try to start it, all I get is a clicking sound. I've tried to hook it up to a separate battery, and also tried to start with engine running, but still only get clicking sound.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What is the full model number of the genset?

This clicking sound, is it a single click as you press and release the start switch, or is it a continuous rapid clicking?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Most of the model number is ***** off, but here is what I can read....4.0 BFA 6004
Serial Number F84379436It is a continual clicking sound when I press the startI have added oil too.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Continuous rapid clicking when I press start.My gas gauge is below 1/4, will fill & try to start again
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

You really need to get the rest of the model number. The critical part is missing.

But a continuous rapid clicking is the result of low battery voltage to the start solenoid.

Check the battery cables, both at the batteries and at the genset. Make sure to also check the ground cable between the genset and the coach frame, as the ground cable does not go directly back to the batteries.

If the cables are good, take the batteries in and have them load tested. Do not rely on a voltmeter to test your batteries.

If the batteries test good, you are most likely going to have an internal issue in the generator.

This unit does not have a mechanical starter, but instead uses the generator as a starter.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Model # 4.0 BFA1R16004C
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

Have you checked the cables and batteries yet?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The cables & battery are fine. I even tried to start generator with engine running.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

OK.

We need to know exactly how much voltage the genset is getting.

Inside the control panel is the starter solenoid.

Use a voltmeter to test the voltage at the battery cable that is connected to the starter solenoid. How much voltage is there?

Now test the voltage while pressing the start button. How much voltage is there?

Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

Have you tested the voltages yet?