JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines

My & S 20HP V-Tek engine cuts out intermittently while

Customer Question

My B & S 20HP V-Tek engine cuts out intermittently while running. It cuts out for a couple of seconds and then starts running okay. I have replaced both magnetos (armature), spark plugs fuel filter and pump. I also replaced the carburetor. The engine runs great now but it still cuts out but does not stop.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: The engine is about 17 years old and this is a first. It does not smoke and the engine is very responsive and has plenty of power.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes. I have already done all of the work I mentioned. This cuts out randomly with no warning, and just slows down a little and picks back up.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I just replaced the battery, starter, and did an oil change.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 months ago.

Does it have electric solenoid in the carburetor base ?

Is this OHV engine or the older twin flat head?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it has a solenoid in the carburetor base which came with the new carburetor. Yes it is the OHV engine.

If it has the electric solenoid, did the old carburetor have the same? Remove the old solenoid and remove the inner ti, and install it in the new carb for test, with it as a dummy.

Inner tip

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The old carburetor had an electric solenoid also. The cutting out was doing the same with the old carburetor and the original solenoid.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I also noticed it cut out more so on a left turn but not on a right turn. I have checked all wires to see if one was grounding against the chassis but did not see any loose or chafed wires.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are you still there?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I answered your last question with two answers and no response. I finally asked if you were there. No response. The last response from you was 15:52. It is now 16:13. If I do not have a response with in the next 2 minutes from the time I send this then I want a refund and will not deal with your company anymore.

I stepped away for supper, sorry. The thought on the solenoid is that it may be loosing voltage, and when it does it momentarily cuts off the fuel.

The experts on this site are contractors that work from home, we don't have a (Company).

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
You stepped away for supper in the middle of our conversation and did not have the courtesy to let me know. That is rude and very unprofessional. I do not care if you are contractors or not. Common courtesy prevails in the instance.

Have a nice day! I will otp out I don't need a lecture.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 3 months ago.

HI, my name is***** will try to assist you.

I want to take you in a different direction since the engine is doing the same thing as it was prior to everything that you have done.

In between the two ignition coils is a ground wire that kills the spark when you turn the key off. In this wire are two diodes, one in each lead of the wire. I have seen one or sometimes both of these diodes go bad which will allow the two coils to begin to misfire which is what I believe that you have happening. You can check the diodes with a voltmeter to see if they are good or not. You should have continuity or if doing a diode test with the meter you should get a beep in only one direction when checking the diodes. Place your test leads of the meter on either side of the diode to test, then on the same diode just reverse your test leads to the opposite sides you should only have a beep or continuity in one direction. If you have in both directions or none in either direction then the diode is bad and will need to be replaced. You can purchase diodes at a store like Radio Shack or you can replace the entire wire assembly by purchasing through Briggs and Stratton.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.