Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators

I have onan emarald3 genset in motor home it was running

Customer Question

I have onan emarald3 genset in motor home it was running fine and then in the middle of the night it made a funny noise then quit running. It would not restart no power it would do nothing. I just went and tried it and it started right up.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just replugged the genator back in the rv and both airs and everything seam to be working for now.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What is the full model number of the genset?

Can you describe this noise a little better?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm at work but I will get you the model number. It spit and studded about 4 times then died. I got really loud. It's happened twice both in the middle of the night. It has run fine all day Sunday and Sunday night I shut if off this morning before work.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Let me know if you get these two pictures
Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 months ago.

I got the pictures, but they were unnecessary. You could have just told me the model number.

Unfortunately, if it is running, it is working and can't be fixed. You are going to have to wait until it acts up, and catch it in the act to be able to know what is wrong.

From what you are describing, I have to wonder if you are having a battery issue in the coach.

Start with checking the battery cables/connections. Make sure all connections are clean and tight.

Pay special attention to the ground cable that runs between the genset and the frame of the coach - it is often overlooked, as it does not connect directly to the batteries.

If it has been a while, consider giving the unit a good tune up.

If it happens again, you need to check and see if you are getting battery voltage to the starter solenoid while it will not crank.

If no voltage there, the problem is in the batteries/cables.

If you have voltage there, the problem will be in the genset control.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 months ago.

Was this what you wanted to know?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I think I had a bad ground on my fuel pump which lead to it to burn out. I plan on replacing it this afternoon noon.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 months ago.

A bad ground on the fuel pump would cause the fuel pump to not work, but would not keep the genset from cranking. The starter would still operate.