Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I have a craftsman cultivator Modeland the brass gear in the

Customer Question

I have a craftsman cultivator Model###-##-####and the brass gear in the transmission is worn out. I found a whole transmission at $200.00, didn't pay that for the whole tiller. Is there a way I can get the tine shaft with gear only?
Thanks
Harvey
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 5 months ago.

Hi Harvey my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. Let me see if I can help you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Did you see my question?

I did and I'm checking into a part number for the gear .

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no, text is fine

It looks like this 740061 case fits man mini tillers , I had 2 troy bilt mini tillers with bad engines , let me see if they have the same casing because it looks like the only way to replace the gear is to find a used case , I'm not finding and replacment gears for sale

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK

Look what I found , check the first review , sounds like it works with the craftsmans too .

https://www.amazon.com/Murray-56159MA-Gear-long-Shaft-Mowers/dp/B0043RTOGC

That's the shaft and gear for 69, cheapest fiX I've seen so far , it's made by murray

Part number

56159MA

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Looks like that will work. Thanks
No problem , I'm glad I could help , I'm gonna check my yard in a few min too , if I have one I'll sell it cheaper for ya just give me 15 min to check , thunder storms here in Maryland . Also please don't forget to rate my service using the stars provided
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok

I think I got your part

It looks right

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok what do you want for it?

Did you want the whole case to bolt up ? , what state are you in as well? . I'm in Maryland

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sounds good Then Z I wouldn't have to worry about clearances and parts matching up I don't need the tines though I live in mlsourri.
Ok I'll get it off and get a shipping price , I'll need your zip code though
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
65652
Ok how does 40 for the whole case sound , and whatever shipping cost .
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok let me know what you need

Ok , tomorrow I'll remove it and get a box , and a price on shipping on Monday after work

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok let me know method of payment and price tomorrow then Thanks again
Ok I'll be in touch tomorrow

Ok I got it off and cleaned up yesterday , stuck a clutch on it and made sure it turned the tines etc. I will stop by the post office today for shipping prices

So the post office wants about 23 to ship , I'm going to check with the ups store tomorrow

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok, I appreciate that. The tiller belongs to my next door neighbor and he loaned it to me and will need it back soon. I hated to have this happen on borrowed equipment but so be it. Thanks for all your help.
HARVEY
Ok I'll get a price tonight , I thought usps had set boxes where if it fits it ships for a certain price but they wanted 4 bucks for the box and 23 shipping which is high

Well the ups store wants 30 to ship it so I'm not finding much better shipping prices

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK, the post office wanted 23 and the part is 40 so the total cost would be 63. Is this correct? Then I need to know how you want me to pay this?
thanks
Harvey

Harvey if you want to go through PayPal that's fine. My PayPal address is***@******.***

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK, I sent payment to your pay pall account. When do you think you can get it shipped? thanks
harvey

Harvey

I'm boxing it up and will ship out Monday , it's the whole assembly as you will be able to bolt it up and go from there

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks

I'll get you the tracking number soon as I get it

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I received the transmission yesterday. However it is completely different form what I have and will not work. Any suggestions?

Harvey can you take a picture of the old one

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'll see what I can do. I went to Sears Direct Parts online and looked it up there. They have a diagram of it. Model #536.292500, transmission assembly, reference #300, part #740061 but they want $193.47 for it.

That brass gear went it a few different makes , troy bilt was one , are the tinesand shaft the same length ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Mine is 10 in and the one you sent me was 8

I never got your pictures of how yours installs.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Did you get the pics I sent?

I did , it looks like the clutch fits down in yours . . Can you give me the part number on the one I sent , I will see if the gear is the same

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 4 months ago.

Hi did you get to remove the brass gear in mine ?

Hi were you able to open the one I sent ?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I talked to the owner and he said don't worry about it and don't spend any more money on it

Ok