Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I bought a new CUB CADET tractor (XT1 Enduro Series) this

Customer Question

I bought a new CUB CADET tractor (XT1 Enduro Series) this year. It has a KAWASAKI engine (FR691V). My wife say the mower is too loud.
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It is a CUB CADET, new off the showroom floor. It is last years model (2015).
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Maybe. Since it is new, I wont have to deal with rusted in position parts.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I'm looking at a SUPERTRAPP SPARK ARRESTOR MUFFLER (model 5S), but am not sure exactly where to find necessary dmension criteria to select the proper components to fit my engine/tractor. i also don't know if there aren't better options.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer.

Has the tractor always been as loud as it is now ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The loudness is relative in nature to the tractor it replaced - a CUB CADET model #1440, which had a 14HP Briggs & Stratton 480cc 2-cyl gasoline engine. While the motor is bigger on the new tractor (and proportionally louder), the wife finds this unacceptable; hence the motivation of this inquiry.

I'm not sure they make a quieter muffler. Was a new muffler on the engine when it was installed ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the tractor was new - zero owners. I'm not aware of any quieter muffler option from CUB CADET or KAWASAKI either. Since the KAWASAKI engine is used in different installed applictions/configurations by different companies, the design of the muffler is left to the specific user company's application. I think in my tractor's installation, the major factor on design was packaging constraints.I believe the Supertrapp device I mentioned initially may work, but I don't have the time/patience to gather the info necessary to make an educated decision.

It would work but looks like to bolt up to your engine it would have to be fabricated. Your current muffler bolts up to 2 exhaust manifolds right ,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Yeah. :(

Looking at the super trap it doesn't have the 2 exhaust ports ,