Wayne, Engine Rebuilder
Experience:  many years on egine rebuilding, lawn mower,roto tiller,Truck,and small engines
6825259

Where I can get directions/diagram to install a new drive

Customer Question

Where I can get directions/diagram to install a new drive belt on a Massey Ferguson rear discharge 70 inch mower
Model 813594
Sn a026386h
Series #2300
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Wayne replied 4 months ago.

Hi I'm Wayne

I will help you with this

Anyway, here's what I found I had to do. I removed the (3) screws holding the drive shaft flange to the pulley. This was a trick, because they are loc-tited in place and the whole engine turned as I tried to break them free. I ended up having to have my son hold the back end of the drive shaft as I broke each bolt free. Also, although it would make sense for this to be accessible from underneath, there is a plate welded into the frame that makes bottom access impossible. The only access is from the right rear of the engine - a very tight access at that.

Once the (3) screws were removed from the flange, I had to remove the clamping screw from the rear end of the drive shaft (this screw clamps the shaft to the spline and is "keyed" to a slot in the shaft). Once this screw was out, I was able to wiggle the shaft until it came loose from the pulley.

AT that point there was BARELY enough room to squeeze the new belt between the pulley and the shaft flange. (Of course, I needed to put the belt around the fan pulley first.) Once I had the new belt in place, I had to very carefully replace the bolt at the back end of the drive shaft. (If the hole is not lined up with the slot in the shaft, it's easy to strip the threads, so be careful.)
Once this bolt was back in place and tight, I could then replace and tighten the pulley bolts

I hope this helped you