JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a 6.5 or 6500 Emerald plus in a diesel pusher

Customer Question

my name is ***** ***** I have a 6.5 or 6500 Emerald plus in a diesel pusher motorhome I push the start button and it mediately shuts off and it starts and immediately shuts off I need help
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 8 months ago.

Hi Mike, my name is***** will be assisting you.

When you say it immediately shuts off, Is that when you release the start button?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hues as soon as you release the switch it shuts off

You have one of a couple possible problems.

Either the run relay is bad and not keeping everything energized in order to keep the machine running or the unit is not producing any AC voltage which will cause the relay to not latch therefore it will not continue to run or operate. I would first check the unit for AC output, it will not be easy unless you can get an extra pair of hands to help you. You will need to be able to check for voltage output when the machine is operating. If you have voltage output when the unit is attempting to run then I would replace the run relay.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it fires like it starts off the button it quits and it won't start me at the shop

You will need to attach your voltmeter to the unit and test voltage output while you are cranking the engine or trying to start the machine. It is sometimes difficult to get a good reading when the machine won't fire up and run for at least a little bit but you should be able to get and indication of whether it is working or by testing while you are cranking the engine.