Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a Troy Bilt lawn tractor with a Kohler "Courage 20"

Customer Question

I have a Troy Bilt lawn tractor with a Kohler "Courage 20" engine. The model # ***** *****
I recently changed oil & filter, mower deck belt, fuel filter, air cleaner filter, and spark plug.
Engine runs fine for approximately 30 minutes, then it starts to misfire/backfire, the problem gets progressively worse until the engine just stalls. Once the engine cools, it will restart, and the process starts over again.
Any ideas and or suggestions as to what is causing the problem, and how i can fix it?
Thank you,
John Testa ***@******.*** (###) ###-####
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 months ago.

What is engine model number? SV series? How old is the engine? have y ever checked the valves? The Courage engine has solid lifters , so the valves may need to be adjusted. If valves are too tight, engine will loose power as it warms and the valves will get too tight and start to leak.. Causing the misfire and stalling.???

SV600 series valves set at .005 intake, and .007 exhaust. Here is link to service manual.