Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a t3000 lawn tractor with automatic transmission.

Customer Question

I have a t3000 lawn tractor with automatic transmission. When the forward or reverse pedal is depressed and I lift my foot, the drive stays engaged without pressure on the pedal. Have you experienced this before and can you help?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 3 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

This normally is due to the return spring either coming loose or breaking. It can also be caused by parts that are sticking or hanging and just need to be lubricated at pivot points.

If you can provide the model and serial number from the tag on the frame of the machine I will be better able to assist you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for that information. Give me a moment to take a look at diagrams of your machine and the drive control system.

Does the cruise control linkage still seem to be working okay? Just a thought that it might be catching and causing it system to not return to neutral as it should.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is not obstruction the notches on the pedal assembly.

There is a return spring on the drive control assembly, it is actually on the top of the transmission where the drive control linkage attaches to the transmission that may be broken or have come loose. I am including a diagram of the transmission so that you can get a better idea of where it is located. It is reference number 14 in the diagram and has to be purchased as part of a hardware kit at a cost of $42.20 through Sears. You can most likely search the web and find other places that it can purchased at a better price. It is part number###-##-####

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The spring is not broken or come loose.

The only other thing that I have seen from these machines are that the pivot points of the pedal assembly and linkages will become dirty and cause the drive system to not work properly. Lubricating all pivot points will normally make the system work properly again.