JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

Got a MTD rider model 790, just stopped in the middle of

Customer Question

Got a MTD rider model 790, just stopped in the middle of cutting. It's 93° at 7pm. My patience is just bout gone with this thing. It won't even turn over, I've checked the fuse under seat, it's good. Went thru start sequence very slowly. Still no start. What gives?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

What does it do now when you try to start it? Do you hear any kind of noises? Clicks? Buzzes? Make certain that the mower deck is disengaged.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It doesn't do a damn thing when i turn the key. No click, no noise, nothing.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Fuse is lit, the headlights don't even turn on when you turn key to on / Start position.

My first suggestion would be as safety switch problem that is not allowing the unit to crank or attempt to crank.

Can you access the starter solenoid? What happens if you jump across the two large post of the solenoid?

Headlights on the majority of riding mowers are AC which basically means that they won't work unless the engine is running.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Starter only has one post on it to battery. The rest of the starter is covered up. No tools out here in the field.

Does this have a Briggs engine?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Kohler 20 hp

Magnum, Command, Courage series engine?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Courage

The wire from the starter post will lead back to the solenoid which is most likely under the seat. If you can get access to the two large post on the solenoid you can jump across them which should crank the engine and get it started as long as the battery is good.

I am to assume that you have checked the mower deck engage to make certain that it is off. You are depressing the clutch pedal or have the parking brake locked.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can't access solenoid terminals, no tools with me. My start sequence has always been by the book. Always started. This thing stopped cold 1/3 into cutting. Wasn't speeding, no hills, nothing out the norm. It just stopped, I guess I'm asking, is there a fuse or somthing else simple like that before I get tow rope and mosquito repellant.

There is a fuse located within about six inches of the starter solenoid in the main wiring that goes back up to the ignition switch but again it is located within about six inches of the starter solenoid. If you can't access the solenoid right now it is going to be hard to get to the inline fuse.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
John appreciate your help, gotta shut it down, too many squitos.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Please take moment to rate your experience.