JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Husqvarna Service Tech
94737911

I think I need to replace the head gaskets on my Kawasaki

Customer Question

I think I need to replace the head gaskets on my Kawasaki FH430V 15HP engine for my Husqvarna Lawn Tractor. I was browsing your blog to see if there were any instructions that might help me do that.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: I bought it from a guy about 3 years ago. I would guess that it's about 10 years old. No, it hasn't done anything like this in the past.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: My wife was mowing the yard one night and it starting billowing out white smoke. It ran itself out of oil and the engine froze up. I was able to get the engine turning again but when I started it back up oil just started spilling out by the cylinder heads.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Yes, I please on doing this myself.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 4 months ago.

What exactly are you wanting help with in replacing the Head Gasket? it is an easy job. Just remove all the head bolt and remove old gasket, make sure to clean area well of all old gasket. reinstall head. Make sure to check the valve clearance once all is reinstalled

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was looking through your website to see if there was a video or something that could help me.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do i need any special tools other than a socket set?
Expert:  JON replied 4 months ago.

I would personally check youtube for video instructions. There are several the I am sure. Even if it is not the exact same engine as yours, the process is the same for all engines. You will need a feller gauge set, possible torx bit T20-T25.

Expert:  JON replied 4 months ago.

Putty knife will scrap old gasket off easiest also