JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Husqvarna Service Tech

I have a 22"Recycler Toro Lawn Mower with SmartStow Model no

Customer Question

I have a 22"Recycler Toro Lawn Mower with SmartStow Model no 20339c serial no that is ###-##-#### It is 3 or 4 yrs old. It worked perfectly until this year when I hit a root and
damaged a rod. Took it to Home Depot where I bought it. They kept it for 1 1/2 months,
replaced the rod, but it did not run right. Ran too low on height mowing. Then I took it back because they had not fixed the back flap that controls grass circulation to grass catcher. I got this for 100 dollars off but it was not a cheapie. Do you know what I paid
for this mower?
They kept it for another month. This time I took it home and started it and it caught on
fire. Literally. I had to stop it. Oil was coming out of the bottom. I am a smart older woman who has been mowing for 55 years. Have never had such a thing happen. How will I know if it is 'dead' or not? I am sick over this. Please help with answers...have lost hope in Home Depot's repair service.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

If the mower has Caught fire, I personally and Professionally, would say it does not need to be in operation. It is a danger to you. I would personally find a Toro Dealer locally, and take it to them.

I am a local Toro Dealer here in TN, and if you hit a root, most likely it has damaged the Crankshaft. Once the crankshaft is damaged, it usually is not worth repair after this. The crankshaft is bent, and has caused the oil to lean out the bottom on the engine. Without replacing the crankshaft and the oil seal, among other internal parts most likely, this mower will never be 100% operational and safe to be used. I am a BIG safety person when it comes to my shop, and if I have a customer bring in a mower with a bent crankshaft, it will not leave my shop with a blade on it. It is not safe, and they should not have give it back to you this way. I would complain to the TOP of HOME DEPOT Management

Expert:  JON replied 3 months ago.

If you give me the numbers off of the tab above the muffler, I will look up the parts you would need at a minimum, but I am 100% sure, this mower is DEAD and not worth repairing due to cost of repairs vs the cost of new mower. I sold this mower for about $350-$375 if I remember correctly, and you would be looking at close to that if not a little over in repairing