Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I have a 1998 Emeral plus 5000 BGE-FA/26100P That will not

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Emeral plus 5000 BGE-FA/26100P That will not stay running when I ley off start switch it dies. I checked the brushes and cleaned the amature . No change if I hold start button it blows 5 amp fuse on control panel
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

The single most common cause of this issue is that the set is no longer producing electricity.

The first thing you need to do, though, is to check your oil level and make sure it is full.
Low oil pressure will also shut the set down.

If the oil is good, remove the control panel from the front of the genset.
Set your meter to ACV.
Connect the black lead to a good ground.
Connect the red lead to the back of the circuit breaker (either one), on the terminal farthest away from you.
Press and hold the start button for 6 - 8 seconds, and note the voltage.
How much voltage is there?
.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The oil is good and it did not blow the 5 amp fuse on the front of the control panel engine stayed running until I shut off. The circuit breaker on the black wires (away from control panel) was putting out 1.8 volts on the 200 acv scale. no power in coach. No what?
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

Remove the wires from the brushes, paying attention to whichwire goes to which brush. Insulate the wires so they can not touch ground.

Make up 2 jumper wires that will attach to the brushterminals, and install a 5A fuse in one of the jumpers.

Connect the fused jumper to the positive (right hand) brush,and to the battery post of the starter solenoid.

Connect the other jumper to the negative (left hand) brush,but do not connect the loose end at this time.

Set your meter to VAC, and connect the negative lead to agood ground. Connect the positive lead to the back of the circuit breaker.

Press and hold ‘Start’. While holding ‘Start’, connect theloose end of the second jumper to a good ground. There may be a large sparkwhen you connect it, but the spark will not hurt you.

With both jumpers connected, check the output voltage. Itshould be between 30 and 50 VAC.

How much voltage is there?

.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
1 to 3 volts on 200 scale. No spark when I connected negative jumper to ground.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

Do this next:

Find the voltage regulator inside the control box. It is the tan colored box about 3” square with the 12-pin connector. Unplug the connector. Set your meter to ohms. Testing on the harness side of the plug, not the voltage regulator itself, ohm across pins J4-9 and J4-10. It should read 20-30 ohms.
Next, we need to check the brushes and slip rings. Remove the air cleaner. Directly behind the air cleaner is the end bell of the generator. In the middle of the end bell is a small plastic rectangular cover. Use a flat tip screwdriver to pry the cover out and expose the brush block.
The brush block will have 2 round holes in it with a single uninsulated wire going through. This is the brush lead. Use a small probe or piece of small diameter stiff wire and push the probe through the hole until it touches the brush. Mark the probe where it is flush with the brush block. Remove the probe and measure from the mark to the end of the wire. If it is more than 1”, the brushes are worn out and must be replaced. Remove the 2 screws securing the brush block, turning each screw 3-4 times each. The brush block must come out straight, as it is made of ceramic and is very fragile. Be careful not to drop the screws down into the end bell. They are very difficult to retrieve. Use the wires to help pull the brush block out. Inspect the ends of the brushes. They should be smooth and not cracked or chipped. They should be worn into an even arch pattern. They should slide freely into and out of the brush block. If they stick or bind, clean the brush block with electrical contact cleaner. Inspect the slip rings. They are the 2 bands that the brushes ride on. They are made of copper and should be as shiny as a new penny. They should be smooth and have no pits or scratches. If they are dirty, you can clean them by removing the spark plug wires and grounding them out. (You do not want the engine to start when cleaning them). Attach a piece of scotch brite to the end of a small stick. Press the scotch brite against the rings and crank the set. Do not crank for more than 15 seconds without stopping for a minute or two to let the starter cool. When the rings are clean, ohm across them. They should read 20-30 ohms. If not, the rotor is bad and must be replaced. If it is good, reinstall the brush block.
Reconnect the 12-pin connector at the voltage regulator. Set your meter to VDC and connect the black probe to a good ground. Insert the red probe into the back of the plug at wire J4-7 and press the start button. It should read at least 10V. Insert the red probe into the back of the plug at wire J4-9 and press start. It should read at least 12V and climb as you hold start. Insert the red probe into the plug at wire J4-10 and press start. This voltage can vary from 1.5 – 20 volts, as long as there is voltage showing.
What are the results of these tests?
.