Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have an old MTD lawn mower that the free wheel will not

Customer Question

I have an old MTD lawn mower that the free wheel will not come out of the drive mode.
We have taken the battery and the battery box out, but still can't locate. Is it located under the large drive wheel?
Model number(###) ###-####0.62. I hope this is correct. It came off a plate located on the bottom of the seat.
I also have a Craftsman with the same problem, but the lever was on top of the transmission. I sprayed it with rust buster and let it sit for several days. I then was able to move it. Kept working it back and forth, and finally it freed up. Hoping to do the same with the MTD
***** *****
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 months ago.

79, 80, and 91 is the bypass rod on this model. I can't locate your number. Look at the number for this one, and then check your number again, if this one looks wrong. Link above!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 months ago.

Did you find the problem?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have no idea what the numbers are-79,80,91. I checked all your
e-mails, thinking you had sent a parts breakdown. I had to Google the the mower on line and got a parts breakdown of the transaxle and located where the problem is located.Sorry,but no help.

I did send the parts list, it is there, but here is copy.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I first responded that your information did not help. However, I did not find the breakdown at first. I have now found it, and as soon as I can get back to this project I'm sure it will help. Thanks for the help.
***** *****